Marketing the First Annual
Fashion Fiber Festival
Fashion Fiber Festival
in East Lansing:
The festival was put on by Seams and Woven arts as the core seed of the emergent East Lansing Textile District.
This was the launch of the first annual Fashion Fiber Festival in East Lansing. The goal of the festival is to celebrate the diversity of fiber artists in Mid-Michigan as well as to educate the public about the value and importance of local fashion to regional sustainability and economics.
In a very real sense we wanted to explore the notion that we can make our own clothes and that we don’t have to be dependant on long and ethically fraught supply chains.
Our objective was to launch the inaugural festival, reaching out to both stores’ customer bases and expanding our reach into the target demographics in three main categories: MSU students interested in fiber arts and design, experienced sewists looking to connect with their community and non-sewers interested in learning more about how to create their own fashions.
Timeline from Conception to Launch:
We only had 7 weeks from the initial meeting to the festival’s launch.
Brand Ideation for the Fashion Fiber Festival:
The goal was to create a brand image for the Fashion Fiber Festival that would represent the handmade quality of the event, with hand-drawn elements.
The Rough Drafts:
The Final Version:
Social Media, Print, and Web Rollout:
- Social media was a huge component of the marketing campaign. We started the social media rollout on September 15th, a month before the event and slightly more than halfway through the entire process. Facebook and Instagram were the primary platforms, targeted at women 35-44 in the Mid-Michigan area.
- Print marketing was done through flyering, distributed to all the vendors, as well as to interested design students and other local businesses.
- The website was updated with the event flyer and dates. We had hoped to do a landing page specifically for the event, but budget and time limits pushed that to be a goal for next year.
- Brought in over $2,000 dollars worth of revenue to Seams on the day of the festival
- The Facebook event reached 16,591 people
- Over 200 people attended the first annual event
- Facebook reach was up 234% that month
- Had 6 demos over the course of the day
- 16 local vendors represented the Mid-Michigan fiber arts community
- Live Music from Color Me Music: Alliance for Students of Color
- Community partners: Community Darkroom 517, Lansing Maker Network, Odd Nodd Art Supply and the PRINT CLUB! Of Lansing, The City of East Lansing and the Downtown East Lansing placemaking crew
- News articles in The Spartan News Room & East Lansing Info
From the Marketing Campaign:
We all agreed it was a success by every measure, and it was also a bit chaotic. With a seven week countdown from the very first idea to the launched event, we all had to balance needs, think quickly and constantly adjust to the evolving realities.
We built so much momentum for the next annual Fashion Fiber Fest. All stakeholders’ feedback was positive. Vendors and demo groups expressed interest in coming again. We succeeded in our goals for a diverse, sustainable festival that showcased new vision for Mid-Michigan textiles and fashion.